Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc.
PICK-n-PULL Auto Dismantlers is a self-service auto dismantling and recycling company, now with 60+ LOCATIONS throughout the U.S. and Canada, which is focused on consolidating the highly fragmented recycled auto parts market. PICK-n-PULL is a $300+ million, fastest growing division of Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. Schnitzer is a 100 year old publicly traded company with revenues in excess of $1.5 billion.
Contribute to the production team to ensure goals are met safely and efficiently while conforming to company policies. Process vehicles in a safe manner to produce core & scrap products, enable the customers to pull parts, and satisfy environmental requirements. This position focuses primarily on Front Loader operation and various material handling duties.
This job will include the following duties:
- Operation of a Front Loader, Crusher, Fork Lift or Skid Steer: Move vehicles, cores, scrap, and other material safely through the yard. Ensure that loads are positioned and placed securely. Use various tool attachments to segregate and dismantle light passenger vehicles.
- Maintenance of a Front Loader, Crusher, Fork Lift or Skid Steer: Perform the pre-operations check and other inspections/cleaning as prescribed in the Certification course.
This job may also include any combination of the following duties:
- Degarbage: Remove Freon, power steering fluid, power brake fluid, batteries, excess garbage, and other items as prescribed by procedure.
- Drain: Remove gasoline, coolant, waste oil, transfer case oil, catalytic converters, and other items as prescribed by procedure.
- Set & Pull: Place vehicles on wheel stands so customers can safely access sellable parts. Remove vehicles and clean up the surrounding area in preparation for the next vehicle set. Other duties as prescribed by procedure.
- Field Decore: Loosen the motor and transmission mounts. Remove any remaining tires and selected core items as prescribed by procedure.
- Ground Decore: Remove heater cores, copper wire, and other items as prescribed by procedure. Maintain the crush pad work area to reduce equipment downtime, harvest cores, and ensure environmental compliance.
- Table Decore: Dismantle engines and transmissions. Remove selected small cores, harvest wire, sort commodity materials, and other duties as prescribed by procedure.
- Tire Dismantling: Use the tire machine to separate rubber tires and wheels. Remove weights and stems. Sort tires and prepare rims for shipment.
- Janitor: Collect and harvest core dismantled core materials. Remove debris. Identify & address safety risks in the customer area. Other duties as prescribed by procedure.
- Miscellaneous: Assist customers as needed in a courteous manner. Prepare Gaylord boxes and pallets for shipment. Review and complete logs for regulatory and tracking purposes. Maintain and replace storm water control devices. Assist in the review and maintenance of mechanical equipment.
Physical Activities Required to Perform Essential Functions:
- Standing, walking, bending, climbing and stretching are required outside in the weather for extended periods during the shift.
- The ability to sit for 6-8 hours per day in 2-3 hour intervals.
- Manual dexterity to handle tools and the ability to move 50 pounds are regularly required to perform routine functions.
- Good hand-eye coordination and motor skills sufficient to safely operate fork lift equipment in an active work area.
- Regular and peripheral vision sufficient to safely operate fork lift equipment in an active work area and perform job functions as described above.
- Hearing must be sufficient to safely operate fork lift equipment in an active work area.
- Exposure on a regular basis to outdoor weather conditions.
- Periodic exposure to minimal chemical hazards.
- Ability to wear and maintain all prescribed PPE and follow basic safety practices.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions including comprehension of basic safety messages and labels (waste oil, gasoline, flammable, etc.).
- Ability to complete basic safety, environmental, and code of conduct training.
- Able to work required hours which may include weekend and holidays.
- Ability to work efficiently in extreme weather conditions – rain, snow, hot sun, cold – for a full shift.
- Willingness and ability to obtain and maintain a valid PNP Certification for operation of a Front Loader and a Forklift.
- Ability to drive a manual transmission.
- Previous experience operating heavy equipment.
- Experience in automotive repair or dismantling.
- Experience with automotive parts and/or retail customers
- Experience with tools and machinery.
- Bilingual in English & Spanish.
PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are designed to outline the functions and position requirements of this job. It does not identify all tasks that may be expected, nor address the performance standards that must be maintained.